Hi, thanks! From what I’ve heard the SOHC are a little easier to work on since there is more documentation online. Might also be easier to get parts for, but I know a lot of people customize the DOHC’s and they are faster so I wouldn’t worry about it. As far as your wiring goes, it just all depends on what you want to do with the bike. Also make sure you take a ton if pics when taking anything apart. This has saved me several times.
Some of the cylinder studs decided to be giant butt-holes and not come out. I tried heat, rust penetrator - all to no avail. I ended up welding a nut right down next to the base and that did the trick.
Top end is off. Keep those rocker arms and shaft collars in the right order! I put mine on this lid and them covered it with foil and taped it up to keep them in place. After I removed the pistons, I checked them in the bore and found out I will need new ones.
Oil tank turned out pretty damn good if I do say so myself. For those wondering if my welding skills suddenly improved - no, a friend welded it up for me.
I tried this fancy method of removing the engine without much success. In the end I just tipped it over on some cardboard like a true redneck.
Working on the seat plate - the holes are for the oil tank mounts and the large cut-out is for access to the fill spout.
Took a couple of attempts to get the hang of fiberglass - it’s a horrible pain in the arse. Second attempt looks pretty good, I had to cut some relief slits to get it off the mold but they were easy to patch. Still a few kinks to work out before I start on the bondo.
Started the mold for my fiberglass seat pan / cowl. First I cut a piece of 3/4” particle board to the shape of the frame. I used 3/4” because thats how far I want the finished pan to hang over the frame. I then made a paper board mockup (similar to how I made the oil pan), when I got the shape right, I filled it with spray foam. I then took the foam “blank” and covered it with drywall spackling and started sanding to refine the shape. When I got close to the final shape, I glued it to the board, filled the holes with more foam and did the final shaping. Now it’s ready for fiberglass.